Snowmobile Safari to the East Coast
with Svalbard Adventures
Visit the kingdom of the polar bear and experience the Arctic nature up close on a snowmobile safari away from civilization and into the endless wilderness.
Due to low temperatures and the amount of sea ice, the east coast of Spitsbergen is one of the hunting grounds of the polar bear. To get there, we drive past large glaciers, through wide valleys and coastal landscapes and across frozen rivers.
— I have travelled to a lot of incredible places around the world but my day out to the East Coast of Svalbard was one of the most humbling, memorable and awe inspiring experiences I have ever had.
Shane and Sally (Tripadvisor)
We head east to the glacier plateaus. After a short break and another safety briefing, we cross a moraine landscape of blue ice formations before driving over the snow-covered glaciers that lead to the bay of Mohnbukta on the east coast. We are greeted by a whole new world with ice as far as the eye can see. Far to the east, we can catch a glimpse of Edgeøya, the third largest island in the Svalbard archipelago.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Per person||NOK 3990 driver|
|Also available as:|
|Per person||NOK 1890 passenger|
Difficulty: 4 of 5
Minimum participants: 2 drivers
Age limit: 14 years
- Transport to and from your hotel
- Touring snowmobile and fuel
- A snowmobile suit, boots, mittens, helmet, goggles and balaclava
- An expedition lunch, hot drinks and biscuits
- Search and Rescue Insurance
- A local and experienced guide with a snowmobile and safety equipment
- A valid driving license for a car, snowmobile, or motorcycle is required throughout the whole trip.
- We do not recommend this tour if you are pregnant or have back problems
We recommend arm clothing to wear under the winter suit such as wool underwear, wool socks, thick sweater, and extra mittens.
- A small backpack for extra clothing and other items
- For participants driving this excursion, it is required that you speak or understand English or a scandinavian language
- For safety reasons, the route may change due to weather, wind, and snow conditions
Svalbard has a common grading system so you will find the trip that suits you. There are no snowmobile trip that suits everyone, therefore there’s no grading 1. Highlighted number is graded for this trip:
2- Suitable for most without any snowmobile experience, very easy and flat terrain
3- Suitable for most without any snowmobile experience, though rugged terrain
4- Previous snowmobile experience is recommended, long day trip
5- This activity demands previous snowmobile experience, very long day trip
The kingdom of polar bears
We drive out onto the sea ice if the conditions allow us to do so. The snow- and ice-covered sea also consists of huge ice formations from the extensive glacier in front of us. This is the perfect place for a lunch break. We stop to stretch our legs, gather impressions and try to spot the wildlife that inhabits this area. In the kingdom of the polar bear, in a landscape so mighty, we quickly understand why we are only visiting. If we are fortunate enough to meet the “King of the Arctic”, we need to watch from a distance. Afterall, we are guests in its territory.
When it’s time, we pack up, get back on our snowmobiles and return to Longyearbyen to reflect on a long, adventurous and memorable trip.