Northern Lights Safari by Snowmobile
with Svalbard Adventures
Join us on a snowmobile safari over the frozen river delta in the Advent Valley to a natural ice phenomenon known by the Inuits as “pingos”. We leave the artificial light of Longyearbyen and enter the dark landscape illuminated by the snow, moon and stars. Remember to look up in case the Northern Lights appear.
— The dark Polar Night in Svalbard provides the ideal conditions for experiencing the mysterious Northern Lights, even during the daytime.
On our way to the pingos, we pass historic places such as the mountain Operafjellet, the old airport and Longyearbyen’s old Northern Lights station. Norway is a leading nation in the field of Northern Lights research and first instrumental measurement in Svalbard took place as early as 1883. The dark Polar Night in Svalbard provides the ideal conditions for experiencing the mysterious Northern Lights, even during the daytime. Svalbard is one of the best places on earth to research this celestial phenomenon. The Northern Lights Observatory at Breinosa, outside Longyearbyen, is the most state-of-the-art facility in the world for measuring and analysing the Northern Lights.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Per person||NOK2090.00 driver|
|Also available as:|
|Per person||NOK1090.00 passenger|
Difficulty: 2 of 5
Time: 09:00 – 12:30
Minimum participants: 2 drivers
Age limit: 8 years
- Transport to and from your hotel
- Touring snowmobile and fuel
- A snowmobile suit, boots, mittens, helmet, goggles and balaclava
- An expedition lunch, hot drinks and biscuits
- Search and Rescue Insurance
- A local and experienced guide with a snowmobile and safety equipment
- A valid driving license for a car, snowmobile, or motorcycle is required throughout the whole trip.
- We do not recommend this tour if you are pregnant or have back problems
We recommend arm clothing to wear under the winter suit such as wool underwear, wool socks, thick sweater, and extra mittens.
- A small backpack for extra clothing and other items
- For participants driving this excursion, it is required that you speak or understand English or a scandinavian language
- For safety reasons, the route may change due to weather, wind, and snow conditions
Svalbard has a common grading system so you will find the trip that suits you. There are no snowmobile trip that suits everyone, therefore there’s no grading 1. Highlighted number is graded for this trip:
2- Suitable for most without any snowmobile experience, very easy and flat terrain
3- Suitable for most without any snowmobile experience, though rugged terrain
4- Previous snowmobile experience is recommended, long day trip
5- This activity demands previous snowmobile experience, very long day trip
The silence of nature
We switch the engines off so we can appreciate the unique Arctic silence. You may catch a glimpse of a small cabin on top of the ice phenomenon pingo, which adds to the uniqueness of this special place. Pingos are cone-shaped mounds of earth-covered ice, which only occur in areas with permafrost and glaciers. Svalbard has permafrost year-round. Perhaps the Northern Lights will put on a natural light show while we warm up with a hot drink.