with Svalbard Adventures
Experience the walrus on our boat trip to Borebukta, where the fascinating sea mammals often are observed on the ice in front of the glacier, in water and on land. Mighty glacier fronts and a distinctive fjord and mountain landscape also await.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Also available as:|
|Children under 15 years||NOK645.00|
Difficulty: 3 of 5 – Average Physical Fitness
08:00 – 13:00
Minimum participants: 4 persons
Age limit: 8 years
Today’s goal: scouting for walruses in Borebukta
Once we are in Borebukta, we look for wildlife around the boat and enjoy hot toddy, coffee and biscuits.
Half a century ago, the walrus was protected after 350 years of hunting. The population was down to as little as a couple of hundred. In recent years, the walrus has again started to use old gathering places, which we are so lucky to have around Isfjorden. A walrus can weigh as much as 1.5 tons and although they may seem awkward on land, they move gracefully and quickly when in water. The walrus is a social animal that often appears in flocks when they are looking for mussels on the seabed or when they lie dry on land to rest.
Wildlife is never guaranteed, but nevertheless, walruses are often seen in the same places in summer, and in Borebukta they are often observed in water and on land. We don’t go on land on our walrus safari but from the boat we have good opportunities to observe the curious sea mammals.
- Transport to and from the accommodation
- Guide with safety equipment
- Search and rescue insurance
- Hot drinks and biscuits
- We do not recommend this tour if you are pregnant or have back problems
- The boat may not carry passengers under 14 years of age unless any such passenger is accompanied by an adult. Minimum age on this trip is 10 years.
- We recommend warm clothing to wear under the floating suit such as wool underwear, wool socks, thick sweater and windproof outer clothing
- A small backpack for extra clothing and other items
- We will not go ashore on this trip
- For safety reasons, the route may change due to weather, wind and ice conditions
Svalbard has a common grading system so you will find the trip that suits you. Highlighted number is graded for this trip:
1 – Suitable for all
2 – Suitable for most
3 – Average physical fitness
4 – Above average physical fitness
5 – Demands exceptional physical fitness