Snowmobile Safari to the Wild Fjords
with Svalbard Adventures
You don’t need to travel far from Longyearbyen to achieve unique nature-based experiences. By driving approx. 35 km to Elveneset, you will be rewarded with views of several arms of the fjord and majestic mountains.
Dress for the cold
We always start our snowmobile safaris with a briefing about safety and how to drive a snowmobile and then dress warmly before it’s time to set off. On this safari, you will experience much of Svalbard within a short space of time. We drive from Longyearbyen to Elveneset, a viewpoint at the top of the De Geer valley. While warming up with a hot drink, you can enjoy the wonderful views of three fjords – the Sassenfjord, Tempelfjord and Billefjord.
“World’s most beautiful mountain”
Standing on the headland, we are surrounded by wild fjords in the mountain landscape. Across the fjord, we can see the mountain Templet, which local trappers often refer to as the “world’s most beautiful mountain”. The lines and shape of this mountain, which is reminiscent of a colossal temple, tell us about the history of Svalbard’s climate. The fjord arms surrounding us are the routes to areas of important historical significance for Svalbard.
After exploring the terrain at Elveneset and visiting a frozen waterfall, we head back to Longyearbyen. The total driving distance is approx. 70 km. This trip offers an excellent introduction to your Svalbard experience.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Per person||NOK2,190.00 driver|
|Also available as:|
|Per person||NOK990.00 passenger|
Difficulty: 2 of 5
Time: 10:00 – 15:00
Minimum participants: 2 drivers
Age limit: 8 years
- Transport to and from your hotel
- Touring snowmobile and fuel
- A snowmobile suit, boots, mittens, helmet, goggles and balaclava
- An expedition lunch, hot drinks and biscuits
- Search and Rescue Insurance
- A local and experienced guide with a snowmobile and safety equipment
- A valid driving license for a car, snowmobile, or motorcycle is required throughout the whole trip.
- We do not recommend this tour if you are pregnant or have back problems
Participants are responsible for evaluating whether they are physically and mentally prepared for participation on in the booked activities. Participants must obey and adhere to all instructions issued by our tour guides. Svalbard Adventures reserves the right to refuse participation on trips if the participant is considered a threat to safety. Snowmobiling and ATV driving requires a valid driver’s license, and the driver cannot be under the influence of alcohol or other intoxicants.
This trip requires minimum 2 drivers. We may also need to change the number of drivers and passengers in terms of safety on the trip.
- We recommend you wear warm clothing
- On colder days an extra set of gloves as a liner to our mittens
- A mid-layer consisting of a sweater and pants in fleece or wool is advisable
- Down jackets, or other heavily insulated clothing, are not recommended beneath the snowmobile suit
- Our snowmobiles do not have a storage compartment, so a small backpack could be useful for cameras, extra jackets, and other small items