It’s summertime! There’s just something about summer that everybody, wherever we are in the world, loves. The warm breeze, vibrant skies, and beautiful colors of everything around us.
In Svalbard, summer is really special. It is characterized by the midnight sun, giving us 24/7 daylight. Svalbard may look lifeless and barren from afar, but when you really just observe the surroundings around you, you’ll notice how full of life the arctic tundra is. Arctic greens and unique fauna will replace the white powdery landscapes.
Midnight sun season starts from the third week of April until the third week of August. Usually, the snow does not totally disappear until around the middle of June.
Explore the beautiful fjords of Spitsbergen, visit old neighboring settlements, and appreciate the marine wildlife. In the summer, there are many activities to do, but if your time is limited but want to experience more, this offer might be for you.
This combined offer includes:
- 3 night-stay in a shared twin room (or single room)
- Breakfast every day
- 7-hour fjord safari to Nordenskiold Glacier with Svalbard Adventures
- A 4-hour hike to Plateau Mountain with Svalbard Wildlife Expeditions
5195,- NOK per person in a shared twin room
6690,- NOK in a single room
Offer valid for stays from 16 June to 15 September
Package Value: 5850 NOK per person for twin room accommodation, 7490 NOK for single room accommodation
Day 1. Arrival
Welcome to the most northerly settlement on Earth! From the moment you set foot at Longyearbyen Airport, you have officially signed up for the most unique and extreme adventure of your life.
For the transport from the airport to the hostel, please take the shuttle bus which waits outside the airport. It will go as soon as all the luggage is delivered. The bus costs 100,- NOK per person, one way. Gjestehuset 102 is the last stop. Consider buying a two-way ticket as this is more favorable.
Upon arriving at the hostel, expect to be greeted with a warm hello at the reception. After settling in you have the rest of the day to spend exploring the frozen surroundings or relaxing in our lounge area.
Ideas on how to spend the rest of your day:
* visit the Svalbard Museum
* visit the town, explore shops and restaurants. A map of Longyearbyen is available for use, take one at the reception for free.
* Look for short, last-minute activities in our Activity Calendar
* or just relax, get a coffee or tea in our coffee room, and entertain yourselves in our TV rooms
(The days of the activities in this package can be interchangeable, depending on the availability of each trip)
1. Breakfast to start the day!
2. Explore the beautiful Billefjorden, and the majestic Nordenskiold Glacier, 09:00 (7 hrs)
Boat trip in the summer’s bustling wildlife
Join us on the beautiful Isfjord and encounter raw nature, combined with a piece of Svalbard history. We sail towards Pyramiden and Nordenskiöldbreen, and on the way we will visit unique nesting areas for seabirds.
We sail from Longyearbyen in our comfortable Stormforce boat and the goal for the day is the Nordenskiöld glacier in Billefjorden. The summer in Svalbard offers a bustling wildlife, both on land and at sea. The bird life is rich at this time of the year, and often the birds are gathered on steep cliffs around Diabasodden which is our first stop on the trip. Of the most common species, we find king eider, arctic guillemots, puffins, various gulls, and the little auk, to name a few. Also keep your eyes up for seals, whales, and walruses.
3. Getting back at approximately 16:00, rest, and coffee/tea/hot chocolate at Gjestehuset 102
1. Breakfast to fuel yourself!
2. Join a hike with a rewarding panoramic view, at 10:00 (or 17:00, your choice), 3-4 hrs
A hike to Plateau Mountain
Join us for a hike to the view point at Platåfjellet at 424 meters above sea level with a great view over Longyearbyen.
We hike up to a stone monument, and if the weather allows it, we continue higher. We bring headlamps with us, but only turn them on when we need them. If we are lucky, in the dark period, we can see the Northern Lights above us.
The hike is moderately difficult because of the mountain hike in cold weather and can be steep in some parts. The age limit is 12 years old, and the difficulty level is 3 out of 5.
What to bring/wear:
Solid warm worn in hiking boots, extra warm clothing, drinking water (in thermos as this can easily freeze to ice), a camera, an extra sweater to wear during breaks and on the way back, and a backpack with space for this.
If you do not have warm worn in boots, you can rent a pair for NOK 100,- If the snow conditions demand, we use snowshoes or do alternative hike.
During this hike we will serve a warm drink and snacks. Bring extra food if needed.
3. Getting back, rest, and coffee/tea/hot chocolate at Gjestehuset 102
4. Free Time. Check our Activity Calendar for some other activities you can do in the afternoon! What about a 2-hour sightseeing trip on a bus that starts at 16:00? This trip introduces you to the interesting history of Longyearbyen and will take you to the most interesting parts of our town.
You can relax on our common room while waiting for the bus.
This is for those who are not extending their stay.
2. Free time
3. Check out at 11:00
To those who are checking out, you are welcome to enjoy our common rooms and lounge area whilst waiting for your shuttle bus to arrive. The bus usually arrives 2 hours before the departure. Please ask the reception for the timetable.
Practical Information about the Offer
•22 days prior to arrival give a full refund
•8-21 days prior to arrival gives 50% refund
•0-7 days prior to departure gives no refund
Accommodation in a shared double room.
*Minimum 2 people per booking, single supplement should be paid if traveling alone (additional 1455 NOK in a single room)
*As an additional option, we can prolong your stay with us and book more activities. Just let us know.
- Get 5% off for other activities organized by Svalbard Wildlife Expeditions.
- Get 5% off for activities with Svalbard Adventures and Greendog Svalbard
- Get 5% off from Arctica AS, the leading clothing and equipment shop in Longyearbyen, located at Lompen Center.
Please tag us @gjestehuset102.svalbard and when sharing the memory on Instagram :)
For general information, visit our FAQs page.
For more questions, call us at +47 900 30 321 or e-mail at email@example.com
Promotion valid until 15 September 2023
Recommended things to do in the summer
Fuglefjella: Hike through Bjørndalen to the bird mountains
It is in the untouched nature you get the most magical Svalbard experience. In the fjords, the valleys and on...
Blomsterdalen: Hike in the area with the Seed Vault
Blomsterdalshøgda, just west of Longyearbyen, stands at 321 metres above sea level, and overlooks Adventfjorden.
Plateau Mountain Hike
Join us for a hike to the view point at Platåfjellet at 424 meters above sea level with a great...
Arctic Challenge: Hike and Kayak
To climb its summit is a must. But it is tough, there is a good reason why this trip has...
Experience the walrus on our boat trip to Borebukta, where the fascinating sea mammals often are observed on the ice...