RIB Safari to Pyramiden & Nordenskiöld Glacier
with Svalbard Adventures
We dress warmly before boarding the open rigid inflatable boat (RIB) and heading towards the Arctic ghost town of Pyramiden. You will experience the nature and culture at close range, not to mention the weather and wind.
Many veterans of Longyearbyen well remember swimming competitions and school visits in Pyramiden. They have fond memories of a completely different part of Svalbard, with Soviet architecture, a lively population and a town full of culture – in a place that is so isolated – because you don’t need to go back further than 1998 before the golden era of Pyramiden abruptly ended. The Russian state-owned mining company Arktikugol Trust closed the mines and abandoned everything in a hurry.
Wilted flowers are still in their pots, and tools, clothes and instruments are left just as they were when the population made a hasty exit. This gives us a good understanding of why National Geographic described Pyramiden as ‘one of 10 ghost towns in the world you need to visit’.
Time: 08:30 – 16:30
Minimum participants: 3 persons
Age limit: 10 years
- Transport to and from your hotel
- Floating suit, life vest, shoes, gloves, googles, and balaclava
- Guide with safety equipment
- An expedition lunch, hot drinks and biscuits
- Search and Rescue Insurance
- Lunch, hot drinks, and biscuits
- The boat may not carry passengers under 14 years unless such passenger is accompanied y an adult. Minimum age on this trip is 10 years old.
- We do not recommend this tour if you are pregnant or have back problems
We recommend warm clothing to wear under the floating suit such as wool underwear, wool socks, thick sweater, and windproof outer clothing
- A small backpack for extra clothing and other items
- Please state any food allergies or other preferences
- Note! Early in the season, there may be too much ice in Billefjorden to reach Pyramiden
Svalbard has a common grading system so you will find the trip that suits you. Highlighted number is graded for this trip:
1- Suitable for all
2- Suitable for most
3- Average physical fitness
4- Above average physical fitness
5- Demands exceptional physical fitness
Pyramiden is now operated by 4-8 people who are responsible for maintenance of the buildings and running the tourism activities. We will visit the hotel to greet the staff and you will have the opportunity to buy some refreshments and souvenirs. We conclude our RIB safari to Pyramiden with an outdoor lunch before we return to the boat and travel across to the Nordenskiöld glacier on the other side of the fjord. In this area, there are good opportunities to spot Arctic wildlife in the water and on the land.
This tour enables you to experience a little of everything Svalbard has to offer – fjords and mountains combined with culture and history.
Please note: Early in the season there may be too much ice in the Billefjord for us to get all the way in to Pyramiden. However, there is a lot of nature to explore in this area and, if we are lucky, we will experience the rich wildlife at this time of the year.