Ice cave overnight adventure: A night in an ice cave
with Svalbard Wildlife Expeditions
Join us for an evening trip spending the night in the ice cave!
It’s out in the untouched nature you can experience the magic of Svalbard at its best.
To experience the light and the colours, we have to leave the houses and the artificial light from the city. It’s only when we get out in the nature – and darkness – that we can experience the magic light that the dark period /Polar Night can give when walking to the Cave. During February our daylight is back.
The magical Svalbard experience
On the first day, the guide will pick you up at the accommodation at 17.00.
We drive down to our storage where we have a short briefing about the trip, and take out the equipment we need. We prepare the packing for our journey from Nybyen. Once the snowshoes have been adjusted, we head for Longyearbreen glacier. It doesn’t take long before we arrive in the shadow of the lighting from Longyearbyen, and into the polar night.
We follow the glacier in a steady rise until we are up on the glacier plateau where the cave is. Here we fire up the primus and enjoy a cup of warm beverage before we continue on our evening walk up the mountain.
From the ridge and the very top of the mountain, the view over a landscape in dark season is fantastic.
The return to the cave is quick, and once down we prepare dinner and get ready for a night under the magical glacier. Here you will experience an underground worls of halls, narrow passages and thick layers of powerful ice crystals before we crrawl into our sleeping bags for the night.
After a good breakfast, we pack up and get ready for the return down the glacier. Then it’s a short walk way back to Longyearbyen and civilization. We expect to be back in Longyearbyen at 11:00 am.
Good, warm and sealed mountain boots*
Cold drink (preferably in a thermos as liquid can freeze to ice)
Warm jumper for the journey home and breaks
*After booking confirmation, you will receive our complete recommended equipment list for this tour.
*If you do not have warm hiking boots, these can be rented for NOK 100.
Bring your own packed lunch if necessary.
Sleeping bags can be rented from us for NOK 600 per piece.
The tour starts:
Duration: Approx. 17 hours
Age limit: 16 years
Price: NOK 3900
The trip has moderate difficulty level 4 in cases of extreme cold and that crawling in the cave may occur. Not suitable for those with back problems, claustrophobia or poor physical condition.
You must be able to carry the necessary equipment for the overnight stay – the guide will help with the packing.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
1. VALIDITY: These conditions shall apply to all orders unless otherwise agreed to in writing.
2. ORDERS/PRICES: Orders may be placed through your travel agent or in writing to our office, or our web address www.wildlife.no and using the activity calendar at top right side of our web page which covers online booking. We will send you separate order forms for our long trips/expeditions/cruises. Any arrivals after the start of the event and/or departures prior to the end of the event shall not entitle participants to any reductions in the price of the trip, unless this has been explicitly agreed or stated in advance. Nor shall participants be entitled to any price reductions due to circumstances beyond our control, such as e.g. weather, wind, flight and boat delays, changes in ice conditions, forgotten drivers license etc. See section 6.
3. PAYMENT CONDITIONS: Upon placing an order for our expeditions and camps, a deposit of 25% of the price of the trip must be paid. We will send an invoice for the remaining amount to the customer due for payment 30 days prior to departure. Upon late order placement, the full amount will be charged. A receipt of payment of the amount must be sent to us by e-mail email@example.com. After the due date, a late payment interest of 2.5% per month will accrue. For bookings our daytrips, the full amount will be charged upon booking online or manually. Tailor-made activities, we send payment link or give bank details. For each manual payment there will be required a fee from NOK 75 to NOK 150. This applies to all bookings.
4 a. CANCELLATION CONDITIONS OVERNIGHT TRIPS: Cancellation of overnight trips must be done in writing. Depending on when we receive notice of the cancellation, we will refund the price of the trip minus the below listed share to cover our losses arising from the cancellation. We recommend that participants take out cancellation insurance with their private insurance company, which should cover among others cancellation due to illness etc. 48 days prior to activity 10% fee, minimum NOK 1,000 in administrative fees 47 – 22 days prior to activity 25% fee, minimum NOK 1,000 in administrative fees 21 – 14 days prior to activity 50% fee 14 – 7 days prior to activity 75% fee 7 days or less prior to activity 100% fee 4 b. CANCELLATION CONDITIONS DAY TRIPS: Up to 22 days prior to activity, fee equivalent to 5 % of paid amount apply From 21 – 8 days prior to activity fee equivalent to 50% of paid amount 7 – 0 days prior to activity fee equivalent to 100% of paid amount. CHANGE FEE: If the customer wishes to change the ordered program less than 14 days prior to arrival, a change fee of NOK 400 per change shall apply. If the trip is with another tour operator, normal cancellation conditions are followed.
5. UNFORESEEN CIRCUMSTANCES Svalbard Wildlife Expeditions AS reserves the right to change departure times, minimum amount of participants and to cancel trips within 4 weeks prior to departure (or up to the starting time for day trips) in the event of an insufficient amount of participants in relation to the minimum amounts stated in brochures or on the website. Furthermore, we reserve the right to cancel trips up to the starting time of the trip due to force majeure or other circumstances that are beyond the control of the company and that prevent the completion of the trip or event. In such events, Svalbard Wildlife Expeditions AS shall be entitled to cancel the agreement without incurring liability beyond the amount that the customer has already paid. We also reserve the right to change the program in the course of the trip, if the planner/guide deems such changes necessary for security or technical reasons (weather conditions, scooter break-down, delays etc). In the Arctic, the weather is in charge, and the extreme conditions that can prevail in certain situations may necessitate changes to the program (also due to ongoing rescue operations); consequently, such unforeseen circumstances do not entitle customers to any price reductions. Svalbard Wildlife Expeditions AS will attempt to the extent possible to carry out the trip as described. The safety of our guests will always be our first priority.
6. CUSTOMER LIABILITY The customer shall be responsible for evaluating his/her own physical and mental condition in relation to the contents of the trip. The customer shall at all times adhere to the instructions given by the event leader, and at no times are they allowed to bring private weapons or pyrotechnical equipment on our trips. Svalbard Wildlife Expeditions as reserves the right to deny persons participation in our activities if they are considered a risk to safety, or act in such a way that it is a nuisance to guide or other participants on the trip. Scooter insurance included and max for you to pay if accident NOK 6.000,-
7. INSURANCE Svalbard Wildlife Expeditions AS’s activities are covered through liability insurance taken out with our insurance company. We have also furnished a guarantee towards the Governor of Svalbard for expenses in connection with potential rescue missions on Svalbard. Svalbard Wildlife Expeditions AS will accept no liability for damages occurring or losses incurring beyond our control. For participation in our longer trips, the individual participant must have an individual travel insurance. Such insurance may be purchased from a travel agent or from a personal insurance company.
8. PACKAGE TRAVEL ACT The Package Travel Act of 25 August 1995 governs this offer, and Svalbard Wildlife Expeditions is the operator of this offer in a legal sense. As a member of Den Norske Reisebransjeforening (the Norwegian Travel Industry Association), Svalbard Wildlife Expeditions AS has also furnished a guarantee towards Reisegarantifondet (the Norwegian Travel Guarantee Fond) in accordance with the Package Travel Act.
9. TYPING ERRORS AND PRICE CHANGES Svalbard Wildlife Expeditions AS accepts no liability for any typing errors and price changes due to circumstances beyond our control.