Sled Dogs in the Polar Night
with Greendog Svalbard
In November, the polar night enters the archipelago and that creates fantastic opportunities to see the northern lights. Some years winter comes early, and we can go out with the dog sleds from November, other years we have to wait until Christmas, before we have good sledding conditions. Regardless the amount of snow, we go out every day, so we have made a dog sledding trip in the polar night, where the means of transport depends on the weather and snow conditions.
The polar night from November to January is a spectacular time for aurora borealis observations. You can see the northern lights at any time of the day and going on a northern lights hunt with polar dogs is a fantastic experience. We will pick you up at your hotel in Longyearbyen and take you to the kennel, 12 kilometres out in the wilderness. Here we provide you with warm clothes (suit, boots, hat, gloves and buff), and you will be introduced to meet our furry friends. The guide will give you a throughout introduction to dog sledding and everybody will help harnessing the dogs. We go in pairs and in front, the guide will be sledding with 2 guests.
If there is enough snow, we go by sledge into Bolterdalen. If theres lack of snow, the trip goes by dog
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adults||NOK1,490.00 per person|
|Children under 12 years||NOK745.00 per person|
Included in the Price:
- Pick up and return to your hotel
- Green Dog provides you with a suit,boots,gloves and a hat
- Coffee/hot chocolate & bisquits ..and maybe a brandy!
- A visit in the puppycage, after the tour.
- Children minimum age is 6 years. If younger children, please contact us.
- All children must be accompanied by an adult.
- We go in pairs – and 2 guests are sitting on the guide sled.
- We recommend that you bring: Warm inner layer, preferably wool/fleece, waterbottle.
- Our guides are all very professional and passionated in their work with the dogs. They are certified and participate in the yearly SGO (Svalbard Guide Course).
- On all trips, at all times an experienced and armed guide will be around to protect you from polar bears. At Green Dog safety is our number one priority.