Dog sledding to a trapper's cabin!
with Greendog Svalbard
Experience Svalbard’s winter, magical natural wonders,ice cave inside a glacier, dogsledding and our cozy cabin.
ABOUT THE TRIP
You will be collected from your accommodation at 9:00 am, and driven 12 km through the Advent valley to the Green Dog kennel in Bolterdalen. Here you will be equipped with exposure suits, winter boots, headwear and ski goggles, until you are ready to continue to the dog yard in Bolterdalen. The guide will provide a thorough briefing on dog sledding before you help to harness the dogs and fasten them to the sleds. The guide will drive first with two participants in their sled, followed by the other sled with two participants.
While we prepare the air will be filled with the barks of happy dogs in anticipation of the tour, but as soon as we set off the silence of the Arctic will sink over both the dogs and the landscape. You will be able to enjoy the wildlife and scenery fully, as motorized transport is not permitted in Bolterdalen. The Polar air will be nearly deafeningly silent, with the only sounds coming from the sleds and the busy Husky paws.
After about 2 hours mushing we will arrive at the ice cave. We will put on our helmets and headlamps as we descend into the cave, while the dogs have a chance for a well-earned break and snack. The ice cave is created during the summer, when meltwater runs through the glacier. During the winter this water freezes, creating fantastic channels and artistic ice crystals in the clear, still air inside the glacier. No matter what the temperature outside, the cave is at a steady -2°C.
After an exciting visit within the glacier and a light lunch, we will sled downhill, mushing through the moraine and out through Bolterdalen. We will continue towards Foxdalen where the cosy little Foxdal cabin awaits.
We will help each other feeding the dogs and after we’ve lit the fire and prepared a delicious meal from the local catering company , we’ll enjoy the evening with laughter, boardgames, good stories and a glass of wine. If its a non cloudy evening, we may go outside and enjoy a fantastic Northern lights scenary in the sky.
The following morning we will harness the dogs again and set off towards Jansonhaugen and the exciting and varied terrain that is found in that area. After a good day behind the sleds we will make our way back to the dog yard. Depending on weather and conditions we expect to be back at the hotel at around 3-6pm.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Også tilgjengelig som:|
|Children 8-12 years||NOK 4950|
Difficulty: 2 of 5
Minimum participants: 2
Maximum participants: 5
Age limit: 8 years
- You must choose a hotel from the drop down menu when booking, since we only pick up from hotels and not from private homes. This is to avoid delaying the tour.
- Note that the guide will start picking guests up at 9 am and therefore can be a few minutes delayed.
- Note that the local doctor does not recommend pregnant women to join dog sledding tours.
- We go in pairs with the guide’s own dogs, which is only used by him.
- The dinner on the tour is locally produced by Svalbard Catering.
- The guide will give you a thorough briefing before the tour.
- No previous mushing experience is needed.
- We end the tour in the log cabin at the Gren Dog kennel and enjoy hot drinks and a visit at the puppies, before heading back to town.
- Our guides are all very professional and passionated in their work with guests & dogs. they are certified and participate in the yearly SGO (Svalbard Guide Course).
- We put your safety above all and the guide will bring fire arm, satellite phone and first aid kit on the tour.
- If younger children then 6 years, please contact us.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult.
- Our guides are all very professional and passionated in their work with the dogs. They are certified and participate in the yearly SGO (Svalbard Guide Course).
- On all trips, at all times an experienced and armed guide will be around to protect you from polar bears. At Green Dog safety is our number one priority.
- If cancelled 22 days or more prior to departure 100 % refund
- If cancelled 22-7 days prior to departure 50 % refund
- Cancellation less than 7 days prior to departure is a ”no show” and does not qualify for any refund. You may apply to your insurance company for a refund if you provide a medical certificate.
- If Green Dog Svalbard decides to cancel a trip due to weather conditions or any other reasons, you will receive a full refund!
Dog sledding is a fantastic and also an authentic way to experience the Arctic. This trip will give you a good introduction to basic mushing and you will know the joy of working with sled dogs.